Recipe by Vicki in CT
From Emeril. Sinfully delicious. The chorizo/cheese sauce with the cool avocado/tomatoes topping is perfection. Great game time dish.
Chili con Queso
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml diced chorizo sausage
- 236.59 ml chopped white onion
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 1.23 ml salt
- cayenne pepper
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes, drained
- 236.59 ml canned chopped mild green chili
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 473.18 ml grated medium cheddar
- 354.88 ml grated monterey jack cheese
Base and toppings
- 510.29 g tortilla chips
- pickled jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced
- chopped grilled green onion, for garnish
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- For queso: In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until fat starts to render, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and chopped chiles, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly add the cream and stir until thick, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the cheeses and cook, stirring, until melted and well incorporated. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- Spread the corn chips in a thick layer across a large heat-proof tray or decorative platter.
- Ladle the chili con queso over the chips in an even layer. If desired, top with jalapeno slices. Evenly arrange the chopped avocados, green onions, and cilantro over the cheese layer and top with dollops of sour cream. Serve immediately.
- On the show Emeril layered these, i.e. chips, queso, toppings, chips, queso, toppings.