These sandwiches are To-Die-For!!!! Sweetness from raspberry preserves and powdered sugar, saltiness from gouda, ham and turkey, and a little kick from cayenne! Use any good, thick-sliced bread. Challah or Brioche is great! But plain sliced bread works just fine! This is a must try for any time of day!!! (Midnight is my favorite!) Created for RSC #11.
- Place 4 pieces of bread on work surface.
- Evenly divide gouda, ham and turkey between the bread slices.
- Top with remaining 4 slices of bread, making 4 sandwiches.
- You can cut the sandwiches in half, or leave them whole. Secure with toothpicks, if necessary.
- In a shallow dish combine eggs, milk and flour. Beat well.
- Heat oil to 375º in large skillet to about 1/2 inch depth.
- Carefully dip each sandwich into egg batter, coating both sides.
- Fry sandwiches, a few at a time, about 1 minute each side, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, gently heat raspberry preserves with cayenne in microwave, or small pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with warmed preserves for dipping.