Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
These sandwiches are To-Die-For!!!! Sweetness from raspberry preserves and powdered sugar, saltiness from gouda, ham and turkey, and a little kick from cayenne! Use any good, thick-sliced bread. Challah or Brioche is great! But plain sliced bread works just fine! This is a must try for any time of day!!! (Midnight is my favorite!) Created for RSC #11.
- 8 ounces gouda cheese (shredded or sliced)
- 8 slices bread (thick sliced, white or wheat)
- 4 slices deli turkey
- 4 slices deli ham
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry preserves (seedless)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- powdered sugar
- Place 4 pieces of bread on work surface.
- Evenly divide gouda, ham and turkey between the bread slices.
- Top with remaining 4 slices of bread, making 4 sandwiches.
- You can cut the sandwiches in half, or leave them whole. Secure with toothpicks, if necessary.
- In a shallow dish combine eggs, milk and flour. Beat well.
- Heat oil to 375º in large skillet to about 1/2 inch depth.
- Carefully dip each sandwich into egg batter, coating both sides.
- Fry sandwiches, a few at a time, about 1 minute each side, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, gently heat raspberry preserves with cayenne in microwave, or small pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with warmed preserves for dipping.
Absolutely fantastic! I believe this is the best Monte Cristo I have ever eaten. We loved the addition of the raspberry perserves...great contrast to the gouda, ham and turkey. I only used a couple of pinches of the cayenne which worked beautifully for us. Thank you so much for this "keeper", Charmie777.
Definite winner here! The best Monte Cristo I've ever had! Seriously good stuff here. I totatlly enjoyed the sweet and salty combination and the kicked up raspberry perserves, oh yumo! Good luck in the contest! I will keep this one handy and make it again and again. ~V
A wonderful and tasty sandwich that is worth the extra calories once in awhile. The combination of ingredients is delicious. Good luck!