Recipe by Deely
I devised this recipe, using Rotel Tomatoes, when I moved to Louisiana, and friends complained that my old recipe was too bland. You can use any strength Rotel you like, but keep in mind, the longer these are frozen the hotter they will get. I always have these in my freezer for unexpected company.
Top Review by GinaXOXO
I have made this a few times and it is always good. I make it before the party and put it in tupperware with waxed paper between layers. Then 15 minutes before I expect company I throw it in the oven. I make a few small changes. I use all sausage and 1/2 velveeta cheese and 1/2 pepper jack cheese. I use rotel mild.
- 1⁄2 lb hamburger
- 1 lb Italian sausage (I use sweet)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (well drained)
- 1 loaf rye cocktail bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown hamburger, sausage and onion in a large skillet.
- Drain well.
- Add Velveeta Cheese, stir until melted.
- Add well drained Rotel.
- Mix Well.
- Place Rye bread slices on two cookie sheets.
- Top with a heaping TBL. of mixture.
- Place cookie sheets in the freezer for an hour or two.
- Remove from freezer and place Hanky Pankies in ziplock freezer bags.
- When ready to use, take directly from freezer and bake at 350* for 10 to 15 minutes.