Recipe by Pepina Rae
What a fabulous pizza topping!!! We love it on foccacia, Italian bread, or plain ole french bread. A great base for soup. This can be used in many ways.
- 3 heads garlic (separated)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- cajun seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place garlic in small baking dish.
- Add stock.
- Drizzle 2 tbl. oil over garlic.
- Cover and bake until soft, about 45 minutes.
- Let garlic stand covered 10 minutes. Uncover garlic and cool; peel and slice. Set aside.
- Brush each of 2 baking sheets with 2 tbl. oil.
- Divide onions between baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1 1/2 tbl sugar over onions on each baking sheet. Drizzle 2 tbl. oil over each.
- Bake onions until golden brown, turning every 15 min., about 45 minutes.
- Mix 1 tbl. vinegar and bit of Cajun spice blend into onions on each sheet.
- Bake until onions caramelize, about 15 min., longer.
- Transfer onions to large bowl. Stir in roasted garlic.
- Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Before serving, rewarm onions in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally.