Recipe by Tastings by CeCe
This recipe was adapted from one I found in Gourmet Magazine. I make cinnamon pita chips to use as garnish. Total time includes cooling.
- 1 lb gala apples
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute (sugar substitute)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons apple brandy
- 2 mini whole wheat pita bread (4)
- cooking spray
- 3 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and core apples, then cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Bring apples, water, Splenda, zest, and cinnamon to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and simmer until most of liquid is evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add apple brandy and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 minute.
- Mash apples with a potato masher or a fork to a coarse sauce, then cool.
- For Garnish - Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place pitas on cookie sheet and spray both sides with non-stick cooking spray. Cut each pita into 4 wedges. Sprinkle both sides of wedges with mixture of Splenda and cinnamon. Bake in oven just until crisp (5-7 minutes).