Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Get out of the scrambled eggs rut and spice up your day with this tasty and colorful breakfast tostada. It's a crisp tortilla shell that is layered with chorizo and onions, seasoned black beans, salsa, a fried egg, cheese, avocado, sour cream, and cilantro leaves. Just have lots of napkins on hand - they are messy (and fun) to eat!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 corn tortillas, 6 diameter
- chorizo sausage, ground (Mexican pork)
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Tabasco sauce, to taste (optional)
- 6 large eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 1⁄2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 teaspoons cilantro leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Brush both sides of the tortillas with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet fry the chorizo and onion over medium heat, season with onion and garlic powders. Fry until the onion becomes translucent and the pork is thoroughly cooked, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, use a fork to lightly mash the black beans. Season with cumin, corriander, salt, and tabasco sauce; set aside.
- Fry the eggs according to individual taste in a non-stick skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread each cooked corn tortilla with equal amounts of the mashed black beans followed by the chorizo mixture; top with a tablespoon of salsa, one egg cooked to order, a 1/4 cup of cheese, and another tablespoon of salsa.
- Place briefly under the broiler (1-2 minutes) to melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately, finishing with the avocado, a dollop of sour cream, and the cilantro.