Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I found this recipe in my new January/February issue of Weight Watchers magazine. Just in time for Super Bowl! :-)
- 4 anaheim chilies, dried, seeded
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 2 large onions, cut up
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs boneless bottom round roast, timeed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, shredded (for garnish)
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced (for garnish)
- 1 red onion, diced (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and toast, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a meduim bowl and cover with the boiling water. Let the peppers stand until softened, 15 minutes, drain.
- Tear the peppers; put the pieces in a food processor. Add the onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt; puree.
- Mix the puree, beef and canned tomatoes in a large Dutch oven. Cover tightly and bake until the beef is fork-tender, 1 1/2-2 hours. Stir in the beans, bell peppers and black pepper. Bake until the bell peppers are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Top with the garnishes.