Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Homemade super cheesy mac and cheese with a spicy bite to it.
- 1 (16 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (16 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package mild cheddar cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) box Velveeta cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can jalapeno peppers, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Cook elbow noodles according to directions.
- While the pasta is cooking cut 16 oz block of cheese into small cubes and slice the Velveeta into pieces.
- Drain the pasta when done, do not rinse.
- Return the pasta to the pot; add butter, milk, cheese cubes and slices to the hot pasta. Mix well until the Velveeta is melted.
- The mixture will be soupy and the cubes of cheese will not be melted completely.
- Add the peppers and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in baking dish. Cover with the 8 oz of cheddar that has been shredded.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes. Top should be browned and pasta should be set.
Perhaps it's not fair to give it 5 stars since I didn't follow the recipe exactly, but it turned out so darn good, I couldn't give it less. I browsed so many recipes looking for one that I didn't have to make the cheese sauce separately and dirty another pot. The steps in this one suited me fine. My changes were to the boiled, drained noodles I added a whole 8-ounce bag of shredded sharp cheddar, a half of a bag of another and a half of a bag of shredded mozz; which was what I had in the fridge and I totally forgot the jalapeno. I didn't top it off with cheese; all my ingredients were mixed in, then poured into a grease-sprayed 9x13 pyrex dish. This turned out to be sooooo creamy and has become my go-to recipe for home-made mac and cheese. Next time I will try it with a kick. Thanks for submitting.
We've made this twice in just two weeks. My Dh thought it was comparable to the Mac and Cheese my best friend makes and that is saying a lot. I picked this recipe because I didn't need to get a lot of pots dirty. I didn't use the jalapenos but I did add a little cayenne pepper, we don't like anything hot. I used monterey jack cheese and sharp cheddar cheese that I shredded and mixed it all in. I also used 1/4 cup butter and the second time I added about 1/4 cup more of milk. It was perfect for us. It had a great brown crust. We will make this often.
This was excellent. Very cheesy with a wonderful flavor. I didn't have jalapeno peppers so heated it up a bit with crushed red pepper flakes and topped it off with Land Of Enchantment Spice Mix, which was a gift given to me by PaulaG. Added such a great flavor. I would have never thought to heat up mac and cheese. Thanks so much for posting.