2 hrs 20 mins
Highland Hedy's Note:
This is a hearty, spicy chicken soup that will give your immune system a huge boost and (in my opinion) kick any cold or flu!!!!! It does have a bite!! I cook this up at the sign of a cold and it does the trick. You can opt not to use the chilli - however Chilli gives your metabolism a hit and also shakes up any nasty mucus on your chest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 roasting chicken, skin, bones, the whole deal
- 2 large onions
- 10 garlic cloves
- 10 g fresh gingerroot (use to taste)
- 2 chilies (discard seeds for less heat)
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup diced sweet potatoes (or both) or 1 cup parsnip (or both)
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom
- 1 cup soup mix
- pearl barley
- red kidney beans
- split peas
- black-eyed peas
- green lentil
- 1 1/2-2 liters chicken stock
- 1Dice onions, chilli, ginger and sweet potato/parsnip.
- 2Dice or crush garlic.
- 3Slice celery, carrots.
- 4Wash chicken inside and out and place into a large stock pot.
- 5Put all ingredients into the pot and cover with chicken stock.
- 6Bring soup to the boil, then simmer for approx 2 - 2.5 hours or until the chicken falls of the bone.
- 7(I use a pressure cooker to cook mine for approx 1 hr).
- 8Pull chicken out of soup and discard all bones and large clumps of fat.
- 9Return chicken meat to soup.
- 10For a variation, try adding a ham hock to the ingredients as well!
- 11This chicken soup does have a bite, but it it will sweat out all those nasty cold bugs!
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kick It Immune Boosting Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.8
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 32.4 mg
- Sodium 327.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: