Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A tasty, Middle-Eastern dish. I like this for lunch or as a snack. Fatoush Salad is the perfect accompaniment.
- In a small bowl, soak bulgur in enough warm water to cover by 1 inch for 1 hour and drain.
- In a skillet, cook ½ cup chopped onion and garlic clove in 2 tblsps oil over moderate heat for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- Add ¼ of the ground lamb, pine nuts, ¾ tsp allspice and ½ tsp salt and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until lamb is no longer pink.
- In a bowl combine the remaining lamb, bulgur, 1/3 cup chopped onion, 1 ½ tsps salt and 1 tsp allspice.
- Spread half of raw lamb in a buttered 1-quart baking dish; cover with cooked lamb, and top with remaining raw lamb, smoothing top.
- With a sharp knife, etch a diamond pattern on top of the ground lamb (where you intend to cut it once cooked), dot with butter and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cut into 4 pieces and serve hot or chilled.
- This is excellent eaten with tzatziki or plain greek-style yoghurt and Recipe #59667 Salad.