Recipe by Random Rachel
Simple, airy pita bread. from Saveur magazine April 2006
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Really simple recipe for a nice soft pita. I only had a couple that puffed enough to make a pocket, but I think that was because I made them too big. But, they worked great anyway for how I wanted to serve them. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Proof yeast with sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water in a bowl for 10 minutes, until frothy.
- Add 2 cups warm water, and 1 cup of the flour. Stir until well combined.
- Add salt and 2 tbsp oil, then gradually add remaining flour until dough forms a ball.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, then cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled - about 2 hours.
- Punchdown dough and divide into 16 portions, keeping dough covered.
- Roll each portion into a 7" disc, and spread out in a single layer. Keep covered and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat a pizza stone (or baking pan) in a 500*F oven.
- Bake breads 2-3 at a time for 3 minutes, until golden and puffed. Place bread in a clean towel to keep warm and soft.