2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lamb shanks
- cold water
- 1 dried lime (noomi, loomi, 1 strip of lemon rind may be used)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon baharat (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups canned tomato puree (I always sweeten with 3/4 Tbls brown sugar)
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional, I recommend)
- 1 lemon, juice of (optional I think it just adds more to the flavor, which is good.)
- 1Rinse lamb shanks and place in a large pot with cold water to just cover the meat.
- 2Add the noomi or lemon rind and bring slowly to a boil, skimming as required.
- 3In another pan gently fry the onion in the olive oil until transparent.
- 4Then add the bahrat & turmeric and fry for a further one minute.
- 5Add tomatoes, approximately 1 1/2 tsp salt and some pepper to taste and raisins if using.
- 6When lamb shank liquid is well skimmed and simmering, add the tomato mixture.
- 7Cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2-2 hours until meat is very tender. Towards the end of cooking, place the lid on an angle so that the liquid can reduce to a thick sauce and sqeeze the optional lemon.
- 8Arrange lamb shanks on a bed of Timman >>> Iraqi Rice (Timman) pour over sauce and serve with a salad and khoubiz (flat bread).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Khouzi Ala Timman (Iraqi Lamb Shanks and Rice) (Gluten-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (617 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1125.4
- Calories from Fat 577
- Total Fat 64.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 363.1 mg
- Sodium 300.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 109.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: