Khouzi Ala Timman (Iraqi Lamb Shanks and Rice) (Gluten-Free)
- Rinse lamb shanks and place in a large pot with cold water to just cover the meat.
- Add the noomi or lemon rind and bring slowly to a boil, skimming as required.
- In another pan gently fry the onion in the olive oil until transparent.
- Then add the bahrat & turmeric and fry for a further one minute.
- Add tomatoes, approximately 1 1/2 tsp salt and some pepper to taste and raisins if using.
- When lamb shank liquid is well skimmed and simmering, add the tomato mixture.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2-2 hours until meat is very tender. Towards the end of cooking, place the lid on an angle so that the liquid can reduce to a thick sauce and sqeeze the optional lemon.
- Arrange lamb shanks on a bed of Timman >>> Recipe #366129 pour over sauce and serve with a salad and khoubiz (flat bread).