Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This recipe of soaked rather than stewed dried fruit was found in the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food. Almost all of the long preparation time is the PASSIVE time needed for the fruits & nuts to soak.
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- 1 cup dried apricot, pitted, halved
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, blanched, halved
- 1⁄3 cup pistachio nut
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange blossom water
- Rinse raisins & dried apricot halves under cold water, then place in a bowl, cover with 1 quart of cold water & let soak 2-3 hours.
- Put nuts in a bowl & cover with boiling water & let soak 45 minutes to soften them & freshen their taste.
- Transfer fruit & its macerating liquid to a serving bowl, then add the sugar & orange blossom water. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Rinse & drain the nuts & add to the fruit, mixing well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Very enjoyable! This makes a very satisfying dessert that is great on its own or would be good with yogurt or ice cream. I made as written although I did snip my apricots so that everything was about the same size. Also made using the suggested times (really liked), but next time just to compare how the time effects the recipe may try other reviews suggestion of using whole almonds and overnight soak time. Highly recommend this nice healthy dessert, thanks for the post.
While made as written except for the use of slivered almonds like another reviewer, I read the prior reviews & it seemed best results were achieved w/longer soak & refrigeration times. So I made it Wed for review today (Fri) & I must say that I cannot imagine how a more ideal result could be achieved. Won over by another reviewer, I also served it atop ice cream & it really was great. I could not help but wonder if a bit of brandy added prior to refrigeration would be just the thing to send this recipe into 10* territory for me .. almost certainly inconsistent w/the cuisine, but such a nice thot. Thx for posting this recipe for us.
This will be great served with my yoghurt at breakfast or served over a slice of cake. I did not add the sugar as the fruit esp the apricots are sweet enough for me. It is so so pretty and versatile too. I soaked both fruit and nuts overnight like previous reviewer did with a plump and delicious result. Made for ZWT6.