1/1 Photo of Khoresht Karafs - Persian Celery Stew
2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Barbell Bunny's Note:
A heart and delicious Iranian stew made with celery and lamb. This is easily transformed into a vegetarian dish by omitting the lamb. If you are not fond of lamb, beef is another option, which my Iranian grandmother favors. From My Persian Kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lamb, cut into chunks
- 1 head celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 bunches mint, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 3 dried persian lemons (can be found at most Middle Eastern markets)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons spices, advieh (can be found at most Middle Eastern markets) or 2 teaspoons you can use vegetables or 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1In a dutch oven (or large pot) saute the onion, green onions, and garlic in 4 tablespoons of olive oil until translucent.
- 2Add the lamb and brown a little, then add turmeric. Give the ingredients a few stirs so the spices release their flavors. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3Prick the Persian lemons with a fork and add them to the pot.
- 4Add three cups of water to your pot. Cover and cook over medium heat for one hour.
- 5In a separate pan, add one tablespoon olive oil. Add celery and give it a quick saute.
- 6After the hour of cooking in the dutch oven or pot, add the celery to it.
- 7Add chopped herbs, advieh, 2 cups water, and adjust seasonings. Cover and cook on medium for 1 1/2 hours.
- 8When done, the khoresht should lose its bright green color and your kitchen should be filled with a lovely smell.
- 9Serve with basmati rice.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Khoresht Karafs - Persian Celery Stew
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.5
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 40.0 mg
- Sodium 106.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: