Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This is a Persian recipe, lamb stewed in various delicious greens with the tang of preserved lemon. Delicious when served with saffron butter rice. This recipe has been adapted from one I found in The Modern Magazine for Persian Weddings.
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 handful fresh fenugreek leaves or 2 tablespoons dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 bunch parsley
- 3 small bunch coriander
- 2 bunches spring onions
- 1 handful dill
- 2 bunches chives or 2 bunches of shallot greens
- 360 g diced lamb
- 1 onion
- 1 large preserved lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Wash fresh herbs.
- Chop finely and remove stalks/roots.
- Fry the herbs (sprinkling in the dried fenugreek if using) in the olive oil, turning constantly, adding more oil when necessary until the herbs begin to darken (about 30 minutes).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Fry chopped onion in pan until soft.
- Add meat and brown.
- Stir in the herbs.
- Add the beans and enough water to cover.
- Put lid on pan and simmer gently for forty five minutes.
- Slice the preserved lemon into quarters and add to stew.
- Simmer gently for forty five minutes.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.