Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is off of one of those recipe cards the supermarkets give out.
Make and share this Khoresh-E Fesenjan (Persian Pomegranate and Walnut Stew) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots or 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 lb walnuts, toasted and finely ground in a food processor
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate paste, diluted in 2 1/2 cups water or 4 cups fresh pomegranate juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken and onions in skillet, and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in carrots/squash, pureed walnuts, salt, pomegranate, cinnamon and cardamom. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in sugar, adjust seasoning, and simmer 30 minutes more.
- Serve over rice.