Recipe by Member #610488
Traditional Russian recipe that has a multi-day process to it. Kvass is considered the tsar of thirst quenchers in Russia - low-alcohol, beer like drink full of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that stimulates the circulation and keeps the intestines healthy.
- 1 lb rye bread, freshly made
- 2 tablespoons brewer's yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar or 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mint leaf
- 6 tablespoons raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice bread and toast in the oven. Place in a large pan and cover with 4 1/2 qts boiling water.
- Cover and leave to soak for 24 hours. Add yeast, sugar and the mint, stir well and leave to ferment in a warm place for 10-12 hours.
- Strain everything through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Pour into bottles, add the raisins equally and seal well.
- Leave to chill and rest for 4 days then use as soon as possible.