1/2 Photos of Khinkali (Ground Meat Filled Pasta Pockets)
Member #610488's Note:
Mongols brought the meat filled pasta pockets from central Asia to Georgia during their attacks westward in the 13th century. Very similar to Baozi in China.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 793.78 g ground lamb
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 large onions, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced
- 340.19 g ground beef
- 340.19 g ground pork
- 59.16 ml cilantro, minced
- 4.92 ml dried fenugreek leaves
- 2.46 ml crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 3 small yellow onions, minced
- 1Knead together the filling you have chosen and about 7 tbsp lukewarm water.
- 2Prepare a smooth dough from the flour and the salted water. Roll it out thinly and cut out 6 inch circles using a plate.
- 3Place about 2 tbsp filling in center of round, and fold edges of dough over filling, creating pleats in dough as you go, until filling is covered.
- 4Holding dumpling in the palm of one hand, grasp top of dumpling where pleats meet and twist to seal pleats and form a knot at top of dumpling. Repeat with remaining dough rounds and filling.
- 5Put the khinkali in a large pan with boiling, lightly salted water and simmer gently, gently agitating them with a wooden spoon now and again.
- 6When the khinkali float to the surface, continue to simmer for about 6 more minutes. Total time should be about 8 minutes.
- 7Remove from the water with a wire skimmer, sprinkle black pepper over each and serve hot with cold beer.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Khinkali (Ground Meat Filled Pasta Pockets)
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1032.2
- Calories from Fat 473
- Total Fat 52.6 g
- Saturated Fat 21.5 g
- Cholesterol 176.2 mg
- Sodium 160.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 53.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried fenugreek leaves