1/1 Photo of Khejur Gur Er Paayesh (Rice Pudding) (Begnal, India)
1 hr 10 mins
I used this recipe for week 28 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook on meal from every nation (and sub-nation) on Earth, and Bengal, India is my 28th stop. Please note that I never use any recipe for my blog that I'm not reasonably sure is from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients. I don't normally like rice pudding, but I loved this recipe. If you can't find jaggery (an unrefined cane sugar) in an Indian market, there are several places online where you can order it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the rice in a fine mesh strainer and drain thoroughly. Add the melted ghee and stir to coat.
- 2Combine the milk and half and half in a large heavy bottomed pot and add the bay leaves. Bring just to a boil, then add the rice.
- 3Continue stirring for about 10 minutes, then check the rice. It needs to be done before you add the sugar, else the sugar will prevent it from cooking all the way.
- 4When the rice is cooked through, add the sugar and keep stirring. Keep this up until the milk thickens (this may take between 40 and 60 minutes). To check for doneness, pour a little bit into the center of a plate. If the milk doesn't flow and stays in a button shape in the middle of the plate, it's ready. Take the pot off the heat.
- 5Let the pudding sit for five minutes, then add the jaggery (if your jaggery is like mine was, you'll need to crush it so it will melt into the pudding). Then add the raisins. If serving cold, cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Khejur Gur Er Paayesh (Rice Pudding) (Begnal, India)
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 799.8
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 74.1 mg
- Sodium 190.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 132.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 104.7 g
- Protein 16.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: