Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yesterday, Feb 14th, was a VERY special day for me. It marked the conclusion of a 5 month fast period on every Friday for me. As per the religious beliefs and the holy book,I made this sweet rice-milk pudding yesterday. Also, it was Valentine's Day, and being the "sweetest" holiday, I had been only more glad that I could finally give this recipe a shot! I found this recipe in a magazine few days back. My mom and me had this for our Valentine's dinner at the end, as dessert:) She really liked it(and she is NOT a sweets person) and said, I must write "Dig in" to please her when I share the recipe on Zaar. That's why that's there in the recipe at the end;) HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! May the fragrance of love touch every soul and its essence smell stronger with time!
- Wash the rice in 2-3 changes of water.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Now pour the fresh milk into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add rice.
- Cook on slow fire for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring to a boil twice again.
- Stir constantly.
- Lower flame and check if the rice is soft.
- Stir in cardamom powder.
- Add the milkmaid (make sure that the flame is low).
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Cook till the kheer reaches the consistency of thin porridge or the desired consistency of your choice.
- Remove from flame.
- Transfer kheer into a large serving bowl.
- Garnish with chopped nuts.
- Do NOT cover the bowl.
- Allow the kheer to cool down to room temperature.
- Serve cold, or rather, like mom says,"Dig in"!
Great recipe! I usually double the recipe and use fat free milk. I omit the condensed milk and sweeten with 60ml of agave nectar. I like it with 1/4 tsp of cardamom.
This gets "sampled" straight from the pot and enjoyed when it's cooled.
It makes a terrific cool desert for after a nice spicy Indian meal.
I love this recipe! It was so easy and delicious. I used 150g. rice, half whole milk and half skim, and whole cardamom pods. Thank you - I will be making this often!
This is even better than the kheer at our favorite Indian restaurant. My whole family loved it. I used green cardamom pods and ground my own cardamom to add as well. I just can't get over how terrific this is. Thank you!