Recipe by Cluich
This is a fantastic dish from northern India. It can be made with ground chicken, turkey, or pork, but it's best when made with lamb.
Top Review by Jennifer H.
This had the perfect amount of spice for the lamb, and the peas had just the right pop. I served it over white rice, and my picky husband and 3-yr old son both gobbled it up!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- in. piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped (remove the seeds for less heat)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (I use some extra-hot powder I got at an Indian market.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and fry the onion for about five minutes over medium heat, until browned. Add the garlic, ginger and chillies and fry for two more minutes.
- Add the lamb and stir-fry over high heat for about five minutes, then stir in remaining seasoning and water. Cover the pan and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Add the peas and lemon juice, then cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. (Suggestion: Serve with warm naan and plain yogurt.).