Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From our local tv guide and it's feature of 7 Recipes in 7 Days by Margaret Johnson. Times are estimate. It was also suggested you could substitute lamb mince for the beef and that would give you a slightly richer flavour.
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 14.79 ml ginger (chopped)
- 14.79 ml garlic (minced)
- 2 chilies (red, sliced or to your taste)
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 750 g lean ground beef (lean ground beef)
- 14.79 ml curry powder (mild)
- 29.58 ml curry paste (mild)
- 236.59 ml tomatoes, sugo (or 2 ripe tomatoes chopped)
- 236.59 ml stock (or water)
- freshly ground salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 236.59 ml frozen peas
- steamed rice (to serve)
- coriander sprig (cilantro sprigs to serve)
- Place the onion, ginger, garlic, chillies and oil into a hot heavy based pan and cook over a moderate heat until the onion is cooked but not coloured.
- Turn the heat to high and add the mince and over about 5 minutes break up the clumps and cook until the meat has taken on some colour (You don't want to do this too fast or you will drop the temperature of the pan the meat will stew).
- Add the tomato sugo (or chopped tomatoes) and stock and season well.
- Drop the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced to a sauce consistency and then add the peas and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Serve with steamed rice and garnish with coriander sprigs/cilantro sprigs.
This was fantastic, and so easy to put together. I made this exactly as posted, using beef and fresh chopped tomatoes from the garden. I used a green curry paste, which had some heat, but was not overwhelming. I also did not have red chilies, but had some hot long green chilies instead. I love all kinds of curries, and this one did not disappoint! I will definitely make this again. Made for Holiday Tag Game.