alternative way of making Masoor Daal - this is also known as Heydrabadi cooking because of the use of tamarind or other souring agents.this can also be made with split mung daal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons tamarind juice (add more if you like it really sour) or 2 tablespoons lemon juice (add more if you like it really sour)
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 4 -5 curry leaves (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil, for tempering
- 1Wash the dal well.
- 2soak for at least 15-20 minutes or upto half hour.
- 3In a pot add the dal and a glass of water.
- 4add the salt, chili powder, Turmeric (Haldi) and leave on very low heat to cook.
- 5When the dal has softened to a paste, add the chopped tomatoes and fresh coriander and lemon juice or Tamarind juice.
- 6Cook till it is of medium consistency (not too pasty or too liquidy)
- 7In a frying pan heat the oil along with the Garlic and whole red chili and curry leaves.
- 8When the Garlic slices turn light brown add cumin seeds and wait for them to be brown but be careful not to burn them.
- 9pour the oil and its contents over the daal and cover immediately.
- 10take off heat.
- 11after a few minutes serve with plain boiled rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Khatti Masoor Daal (Sour Split Red Lentils)
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.1
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1185.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.2 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 26.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: