Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 350 g arvi (colocassia or taro)
- oil (for cooking)
- 50 g onions, sliced
- 50 g ginger, ground to a paste
- 50 g garlic, ground to a paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 50 g tamarind pulp, soaked in lukewarm water for 15 minutes and squeezed to remove the pulp
- 4 -5 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 -5 green chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 6 g garam masala powder (Quick Garam Masala, your own recipe or store bought)
- BOIL the arvi in lightly salted water till tender.
- Peel and slice the bigger ones into two pieces and fry lightly in oil.
- Heat some oil in a separate pan and saute the onions till golden brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and saute for another minute or two, till the raw flavour is no longer apparent.
- Add chilli and turmeric powder and salt and saute for three to four minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute till they are completely soft and mashed.
- Add the arvi and cook for two to three minutes.
- Add one cup water.
- Add the tamarind pulp, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or till the arvi is tender.
- Sprinkle the garam masala powder over the arbi and serve hot.