Prep 12 mins
Cook 5 mins
Interesting variation on basic pan fries. Vary the hot stuff to taste. Ghee is definitely preferred but use oil/butter mix if you are stuck. Found the recipe on an Indian mail order website (www.indianfoodsco.com). Prep time assumes you have some potatoes cooked and room temperature already.
- 5 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and cubed
- 29.58 ml ghee (may use 1 each of oil and butter)
- 4.92 ml cumin seed
- 14.79 ml ground coriander
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 2.46-9.85 ml ground dried hot chili peppers (cayenne is ok)
- 1-2 hot green chili pepper, finely chopped (finger,serrano,whatever)
- 4.92 ml ginger, minced
- 1-1 lime, juice of
- 2.46 ml salt (to taste)
- 29.58 ml cilantro, chopped
- Heat ghee in large non-stick pan until shimmering (I have the pan on full-blast for most of this recipe).
- Add cumin and stir until fragrant.
- Add coriander, tumeric, ground chile, green chile and ginger and stir, making a hot paste.
- Dump in potatoes and toss until coated on all sides (will be fairly dry).
- Move around into one layer and leave alone for a minute, allowing some crust to form. Turn and repeat until crusted to your liking.
- Remove from heat, squeeze lime juice over top,sprinkle salt and toss to blend.
- Pour into serving dish and garnish with cilantro.
- Serves 4 but I just ate most of it as a lunch.
These were quite good! Made them for dinner last night. I wasn't convinced the potatoes would hold together, nor was I so sure I could get a crust to form, but everything turned out fine! Okay, some of the crust fell off the potatoes but that was okay since I like spicier stuff than my BF so I just ate that part myself:D BF liked his potatoes very much too. I did not have cumin seeds so I used cumin powder and don't know about ghee so I used oil and butter. Only used 1 jalapeno pepper, next time I would use more. Thanks very much Spicy Doc!
These are wonderful! Co-incidentally, I had this for dinner last night. I used mustard seeds instead of cumin seeds, oil instead of ghee(I'm not a ghee fan but slowly will try to use it in my cooking instead of oil- been thinking on this this past year and learnt amazing things about ghee) and I also used 1/2 tsp. of chat masala powder. Normally, I would have used curry powder, but since I have run out of it, I decided to add some chat masala for a nice tanginess to the potatoes. This turned out very well. At the end, after this was ready to serve, I stirred in some yoghurt and then had this over rice. Yummy stuff!