1/1 Photo of Khasta Aloo (Spicy Pan Fried Potatoes)
Interesting variation on basic pan fries. Vary the hot stuff to taste. Ghee is definitely preferred but use oil/butter mix if you are stuck. Found the recipe on an Indian mail order website (www.indianfoodsco.com). Prep time assumes you have some potatoes cooked and room temperature already.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons ghee (may use 1 each of oil and butter)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2-2 teaspoon ground dried hot chili peppers (cayenne is ok)
- 1/2-2 hot green chili pepper, finely chopped (finger,serrano,whatever)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1/2-1 lime, juice of
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1Heat ghee in large non-stick pan until shimmering (I have the pan on full-blast for most of this recipe).
- 2Add cumin and stir until fragrant.
- 3Add coriander, tumeric, ground chile, green chile and ginger and stir, making a hot paste.
- 4Dump in potatoes and toss until coated on all sides (will be fairly dry).
- 5Move around into one layer and leave alone for a minute, allowing some crust to form. Turn and repeat until crusted to your liking.
- 6Remove from heat, squeeze lime juice over top,sprinkle salt and toss to blend.
- 7Pour into serving dish and garnish with cilantro.
- 8Serves 4 but I just ate most of it as a lunch.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Khasta Aloo (Spicy Pan Fried Potatoes)
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.4
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 16.3 mg
- Sodium 309.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 5.8 g