Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is from the Kakheti region of the country, Georgia.
- 2 lbs boneless veal shoulder, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red chili pepper, stemmed seeded finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 12 pickled plums, rinsed drained
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, minced
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, minced
- Season veal with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in an 8 qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Add veal and cook, turning as needed, until browned (10 minutes). Add garlic, onions, and chiles. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden (8-10 minutes).
- Add tomato paste, allspice, and paprika. Cook, stirring, until slightly caramelized (2 minutes). Add plums and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until veal is tender (1-1 1/2 hours). Stir in cilantro, mint, scallions, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Serve with bread on the side.