2 hrs 10 mins
DJ Park's Note:
This truly outstanding soup can singlehandedly help you prepare for or recover from a blizzard, a grueling journey, any challenge you can imagine--it is that rich and robust. It has an unusual number of herbs and flavorings; these create an exotic but not offputting taste and texture. I recommend it highly. Serve hot as a meal to 6-8 people.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless lean beef
- 8 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek (in a pinch, use curry powder)
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste, diluted in hot stock (can substitute 4 Tablespoons of lemon juice)
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herb (, any mixture of tarragon, cilantro, basil, parsley, mint, or dill)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh herb (, any mixture of tarragon, cilantro, basil, parsley, mint, or dill)
- 1Bring the meat, in one big piece, to a boil in the stock.
- 2Skim off the foam as necessary.
- 3Reduce heat and simmer, partly covered, for about 1½ hours.
- 4Remove and reserve the meat.
- 5When the meat has been cooking for an hour or so, melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat, and stir in the onions.
- 6Fry for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and colored.
- 7Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for about a minute.
- 8Add 1/2 cup stock and stir until smooth.
- 9Stir in the tomato paste and the tomatoes.
- 10Whisk in the rest of the stock, add the rice, and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- 11Add all the rest of the ingredients, except for the fresh herbs, and simmer them until the rice is tender--another 10 to 15 minutes.
- 12At this point, you can cut the meat into bite-sized pieces.
- 13When ready to serve, remove the soup from the heat, stir in the meat pieces and the 1/4 cup of fresh chopped herbs, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 14Stir in the remaining herbs and ladle into bowls.
- 15Serve with hearty bread and butter and a good Georgian red wine.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kharcho (Georgian Beef-Walnut Soup with fresh herbs)
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.9
- Calories from Fat 286
- Total Fat 31.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 91.2 mg
- Sodium 1217.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless lean beef