Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An Indian beverage found in Indian Food Forever. No times given so I'm guessing at them. I searched Khus Essence and found it available here very reasonably priced: http://store.myspiceshop.com/11015.html @ 1.49. Cook time is chill time Also found this description elsewhere: "Khus essence: Sometimes spelled khas, this flavouring essence is extracted from the aromatic rhizomes of vetiver (Vetiveria zizanioides), a tropical grass. Used to flavour sweet syrups and beverages in India, it is particularly popular in Bengal. The oil is a constituent of some of the world's most expensive perfumes. In tropical Asia the roots are also used to make screens, mats and fans which, when damped down, release again their unique fragrance."
- 2 large honeydew melon (Kharbooja)
- 1⁄2 cup strained fresh orange juice (Santra Ka Raas)
- 1⁄4 th cup fresh lemon juice (Nimbu Ka Raas)
- 4 drops oil, Khus (Khus Essence is what you want, see intro above.)
- If using small melons, slice off the top of each as a lid, if using large melons, cut them into half.
- Cut the edges into zigzag pattern.
- Cut a thin slice off the bottom so that the melon stands upright without tipping (take care not to cut through the shell).
- Scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Scoop out the flesh and process in a blender, along with the remaining ingredients, until smooth.
- Chill well and serve in the shells, if desired, with reversed lids and a straw.