Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This gourmet recipe is from the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone. For a more down to earth version, you can cut the lamb off of the rack. Dice into cubes and add to the curry mixture. Heat through and then serve.
- 1 rack lamb (should be single with 8 ribs)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- salt, to taste
Kao Soi Curry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can yellow curry paste
- 0.5 (4 ounce) can red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- fish sauce, to taste
- white sugar, to taste
- 3 (13 1/2 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1 (1 lb) package wonton, strips
- 1 cup pickled mustard greens, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 lime zest
- 1 cup cilantro leaf
- 1 tablespoon red chili oil
- Combine ground cumin, ground coriander seeds, curry powder, turmeric powder and minced garlic in a small bowl. Rub rack of lamb with mixed spices and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for several hours. When ready to make this dish, bring lamb to room temperature before cooking.
- Using medium saucepan, pour in 2 tablespoon cooking oil and start cooking the curry pastes on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, adding the spices, then the coconut cream, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the coconut milk. Bring to a boil, and add the sugar and fish sauce to taste. Simmer for 1/2 hour and check the seasoning.
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees F. Heat the saute pan with grapeseed oil and season the marinated lamb with salt. Sear until golden brown. Put in oven for 15 to 17 minutes until medium rare. Allow lamb to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into 8 ribs.
- Place 2 oz of wonton noodles in the center of the plate. Place the lamb rack on top and sprinkle with diced onion, pickled mustard greens, lime zest, and cilantro then pour the hot curry on the lamb. Garnish with 2 oz wonton noodles.