Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from Central Thailand (Bangkok area) and can be modified for other vegetables or proteins. I sometimes add Thai basil to this dish which makes it really yummy.
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown jasmine rice or 1 1⁄4 cups white jasmine rice
- 8 ounces boneless pork chops, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, seeded sliced thinly (optional)
- 2 scallions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1⁄2 cup whole cilantro leaf (garnish)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (garnish)
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced thickly (garnish)
- 1⁄2 medium cucumber, sliced (garnish)
- Combine rice and water (2 1/2 cups for brown rice; 2 cups for white rice) in a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed (40 to 45 minutes for brown rice; 20 minutes for white).
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, spread the rice on a large baking sheet and let cool at least 15 minutes.
- This can be done up to 2 days prior.
- Thinly slice pork chop crosswise, then cut each slice into long, thin strips about the width of a matchstick. Place a large flat-bottom carbon-steel wok over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Crack one egg into hot wok and cook until soft-cooked. Carefully remove to plate. You can also scramble the egg, if you wish.
- Add garlic. Cook, stirring, until just starting to change color, about 20 seconds. Add the pork and cook, stirring, until it is no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pork with a slotted spoon to a clean plate. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the wok. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the cooked rice and stir-fry, tossing and then pressing it against the hot wok, then tossing and pressing again, until all the rice has been exposed to the hot wok, about 1 minute.
- Add scallions, fish sauce and the cooked pork and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the fried rice to a platter. Top with soft cooked fried egg. If serving individually, top each serving with one fried egg soft cooked. Garnish with cilantro leaves, lime wedges, thick-cut tomato slices, and cucumber slices.