2 hrs 45 mins
Khandi Howard's Note:
This is a full flavored sauce - one of my family's favorites. It makes a lot of sauce. I always freeze it in zip-locks to make spaghetti or I use it to make the best lasagna ever (also posted). You can use this sauce with great success over frozen store-bought ravioli, tortelini or stuffed shells. This makes about 4 gallons of sauce. The prep time varies. I usually use a food processor to cut down on chopping time. Cook time also varies. I usually let the sauce cook for several hours the day I make it, but would suggest letting simmer at least 2 hours on low. To use from the freezer, just cut out of freezer bag and microwave until hot. Or warm on stove.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
- 3 lbs ground Italian sausage, browned and drained
- 4 onions, chopped
- 6 cans mushrooms, drained or 2 lbs fresh mushrooms, sauteed
- 7 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce (Approx. see note below)
- 3 (26 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (I have them frozen)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- italian seasoning (I used about 4 to 5 tablespoons – adjust to taste)
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste – I used a couple of teaspoons – we like it spicy)
- 1Brown beef, onions, peppers, sausage and Italian seasoning.
- 2Drain well.
- 3Put in stock pot, add mushrooms, sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, and remaining seasoning, simmer for a long, long time.
- 4Freeze in freezer bags (put 3, 4 or 5 cups sauce per bag).
- 5***I’vefound that Hunt’s works great.
- 6It is cheaper than some of the others and it made the best sauce ever.
- 7I used the roasted garlic variety mostly and one of the others but I can’t remember which one.
- 8I think that any of them would give similar results.
- 9I’ve also used plain tomato sauce and increased my seasoning – but the Hunt’s turned out the tastiest.
- 10***You can substitute pan sausage for the Italian sausage and increase the Italian seasoning with little change in taste.
- 11When I do this I usually use Jimmy Dean’s.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Khandi's Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (9851 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.0
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 55.8 mg
- Sodium 1299.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 21.2 g