4 hrs 30 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Erin K. Brown's Note:
Recipe from the book "Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World" by Gil Marks pgs. 185-188
My Private Note
large l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon honey or 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 large egg
Georgian Cheese Filling (Khveli)
- 1Dough (Khachapuri):.
- 2Line a spring form pan with butter.
- 3In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water.
- 4Stir in the sugar/honey and let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 5Add the remaining water, the butter and the salt.
- 6Stir in 2 cups of the flour.
- 7Gradually add enough of the remaining flour so that the mixture holds together.
- 8On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. (To knead in a food processor, combine the flour, butter and salt in the work bowl of the food processor and add the yeast mixture. With the machine on, gradually add enough warm water until the dough forms a ball, then process around the bowl about 25 times.).
- 9Shape into a ball, place in a large oiled bowl turning to coat, cover, and let rise until nearly doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 10Punch down the dough and roll into a 20-inch round about 1/4 inch thick.
- 11Fit the dough into the greased spring form pan, letting the excess drape over the sides.
- 12Spoon in the filling (Filling directions at the end of the recipe).
- 13Gather the edges together to meet in the center, pleating the dough as evenly as possible into overlapping folds. Twist the dough ends that meet in the center to form a knob.
- 14Cover and let stand for about 30 minutes.
- 15Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 16Brush the khachapuri with the egg mixture (Beat the egg with 1 tsp water).
- 17Bake until golden brown, about an hour.
- 18Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
- 19Georgian Cheese Filling (Khveli):.
- 20In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir to blend.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Khachapuri, Georgian Cheese Filled Flat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.1
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.8 g
- Cholesterol 151.7 mg
- Sodium 1167.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 21.7 g