1 hr 30 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This Georgian national dish comes in many variants. This recipe normally is made with matsoni yogurt (Bulgarian or Turkish yogurt is ok) and sulguni cheese. Khachapuri can be found at numerous snack kiosks and from street traders at markets or subway stations. In times of crisis, it is also sold from a hand extended from the window of a ground-floor apartment. It should never be missing from the everyday table or the buffet table at parties.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups full fat yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1Make a smooth dough out of the dough ingredients. Use as much flour as needed to keep dough light without it sticking to your hands.
- 2Leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- 3Prepare the filling. Grate the mozzarella and then mix with the cream cheese. Add the egg and butter and process into a smooth, glutinous mixture using either a hand mixer or a wooden spoon.
- 4Season with salt, if needed, and divide into 4 balls.
- 5Shape the dough into 4 balls also and roll these out to form 8 inch circles.
- 6Put the cheese filling balls into each dough circle and bring the edges of the dough circle up and over to seal. (Example.like an omelet or a calzone) Press firmly to seal.
- 7Carefully press the dough flat into a circular shape until each will fill a large skillet.
- 8Fry individually in hot butter, covered, before turning them and frying the other side, uncovered.
- 9Cut each flat loaf into 4 portions and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Khachapuri (Georgian Cheese Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 891.7
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.7 g
- Saturated Fat 27.8 g
- Cholesterol 247.7 mg
- Sodium 862.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 39.1 g