Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this on the Desitwist website, and I wanted it to complete my A to Z collection of recipes (my Around the World Cookbook). Also known as Farina, Sameed, Cream of Wheat. Serving size is a guess. I definitely recommend a nonstick saucepan. This worked fine with fat free milk and "quick" farina. If you are not used to cardamon, you might want to reduce the amount.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons rose water (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron or 1⁄2 teaspoon one pinch saffron thread
- 5 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup farina
- Combine all of the ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to the lowest level and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm in individual bowls or on small desert plates. Drizzle with butter, if desired.
Made this for January Tag Game - 2011 and really enjoyed it. DH, not so much. He said "there's a funny taste" I personaly loved it but my suggestion is if you arn't used to the rose water, go easy on it. I did make it with cream of rice as that's what I had on hand and then followed the recipe. Served with a sprinkling of sugar, pat of butter and DH added milk to his. I'll be making this again, but only when it's me.
Enjoyed this for a nice hot breakfast! I scaled it back to 2 servings and reduced the cardamom just a bit. Cooking the farina in milk gave it a rich taste and I enjoyed the spicy/sweet flavor of the cardamom. Thank for sharing your recipe!
Delicious, quick and easy to make! I used the optional rosewater and would strongly suggest not omitting it. The rosewater is like the icing on the cake. The mixture was brought *almost* to the boil and the rosewater was stirred in right before serving. Garnished with sesame seeds and slivers of dried dates. Thanks! Reviewed for NA*ME Explores Oman.