Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Found on http://arabic-food.blogspot.com/. I have seen elswhere that it is common to Oman. I'm posting it here because I want to try it soon. I'm guessing at the yield, the photo on the recipe shows it in 4 pieces made in different sized and shaped molds.
- 4 1⁄4 cups plain flour (or 600 g)
- 4 1⁄2 cups water (or 1125 ml)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (or 150 g)
- 3⁄4 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or 100 g)
- 1 (397 g) can sweetened condensed milk
- Sift the flour and add it to a large saucepan placed over medium heat. Toss flour and stir continuously until golden brown. Remove from heat and sift again.
- Add water, saffron, sugar, cardamom, rose water, desiccated coconut and half the quantity of butter to a large saucepan. Bring ingredients to boil.
- Add the toasted flour gradually to the water while stirring continuously.
- Add remaining butter, and stir until well combined. Cover and cook on very low heat for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Add Sweetened Condensed Milk and stir until well combined.
- Serve at room temperature with coffee.
Skipping the stars, gf. Wow, what an EPIC disaster. Important notes for the next person to try - please DO weigh the flour!!! The 2nd sifting is even more important than the 1st - while heating, it clumps up. It took forever to brown (well, 20 - 25 minutes) - nothing, nothing, nothing, TAN! and eventually darker which i thought was as 'golden brown' as I was gonna get. NOTE! STOP at tan!!! When I added the cooked & sifted flour to the water, it turned to a very dark brown mess - the color of a molasses cookie. I think because i didn't weigh my flour, i had too much which resulted in the solid land mass in my pan. :o I hoped adding the condensed milk would loosen it up...nope. It also had a burned smell & a smokey flavor. Tasted kinda like cigarette smoke. :( A lot of time & ingredients into the garbage. SO, please somebody take these notes & try for yourself! Please come back with a better review for Annacia!! Sorry, hun. Made for Exploring Oman 1/13.