Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
PLEASE READ FIRST! This recipe is just some of this and that I put together from here and there and I have no measurements for it. There really aren't any...except your eye ball and taste buds. Because I have to use measures I put some down BUT USE YOUR OWN JUDGMENT, NOT MY MEASUREMENTS! Use tomatoes that have thicker meats. Color does not matter. Use any combination of seasoning, or herbs, you like or leave plain. This seems like it takes longer than it really does. Recipe does not include or bake freeze time. Serving are not correct either. I use these in place of canned tomatoes for all of my recipes that need canned tomatoes. The taste is So much better too! Even on a sandwich! If you need to have juice for the recipe too, let them sit when thawing or add a little water. Tomato bites need to be done after roasting.
- 2 quarts fresh tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil (extra light tasting)
- 1 teaspoon salt (regular or sea salt)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, dry
- 1 tablespoon dry basil
- Preheat over to 225 degrees.
- You will need 2 large cookie sheets with lips.
- In a large bowl pour about 3/4 cup olive oil.
- Add your choice of seasonings and/or herbs (except salt) and mix well.
- Wash tomatoes and core.
- Cut tomatoes in halves or quarter and put in large bowl.
- Put tomatoes in the bowl and toss so that they are well coated.
- Put the tomatoes on the cookie sheets skin side down.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in over uncovered until tomatoes collapse on themselves.
- That will take 15 to 20 hours depending on how meaty they are.
- Remove from over and cool.
- When cool you may pinch the skin off the back of the tomatoes to remove it.
- As you do that put tomatoes on another tray that is covered with parchment paper and freeze till solid.
- I put my tomatoes in freezer bags and seal shut.
This is JUST the kind of recipe I LOVE Karen! I made this as posted but with 6 large tomatoes, and also garnished it with parsley too! We ate these little beauties with grilled perch, baby potatoes and a green salad and they were ALL wolfed down by only three of us! GREAT recipe, and a keeper for me! Made for your cookathon! Merci darlink! FT:-)