My copycat recipe for KFC's bygone Original Recipe Chicken Livers. This recipe requires 1/2 level cup KFC Original Recipe Breading Mix (Copycat).
- 2 -4 lbs premium quality fresh chicken livers
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning (recommended flavor enhancer)
- 2 cups pre-sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup seasoning (Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat))
RECOMMENDED FRYING OIL (I USE PEANUT OIL)
- vegetable oil or pure vegetable shortening
- MARINATE chicken livers at least 2 hours in refrigerator, in blended BRINE ingredients: 4 cups cold water, 1 tablespoon fine sea salt, 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning; COVER; TURN chicken livers periodically with tongs during marination.
- MEASURE 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup Recipe #453973 (one batch without added flour) into a large sealable container, such as a GLAD food storage container or a Ziploc bag.
- SHAKE container and mix well.
- REMOVE chicken from brine with tongs; RINSE or soak chicken in very warm water.
- PLACE a few pieces breaded livers at a time into the SEASONED FLOUR mixture container; SEAL container firmly; SHAKE gently in all motions to thoroughly coat livers.
- PLACE breaded pieces on a wire rack when livers are evenly and generously breaded.
- ALLOW chicken livers to rest and absorb the breading for a few minutes before frying.
- PREHEAT the manufacturer's recommended amount frying oil in your deep-fryer between to 315°F (OR) preheat enough fat to immerse chicken completely in deep heavy stovetop pot to 315°F (use a deep-fryer thermometer to gauge).
- ADD breaded chicken livers to the elevated fry basket in deep-fryer without crowding; LOWER the basket slowly into the hot oil; TURN livers only once midway, frying until golden brown and fully cooked, about 10-12 minutes. DRAIN on a wire rack over a paper towel-lined baking sheet; TRANSFER rack over a baking sheet and keep chicken livers warmed in a preheated 170°F oven until serving.
- SERVE and enjoy!