Recipe by The Spice Guru
My reverse-engineered recipe for replicating KFC's 'Original Recipe' chicken breading mix. Yields one batch fried chicken (8-10 pieces, or up to 16 drumsticks). For a bulk mix of this same recipe for quick and easy breading, use Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat). Follow link to KFC Original Recipe Chicken (Copycat) for complete brining, preparation and frying instructions. PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carb and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
BASE MIXTURE (SEE NOTES)
- 5 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons egg white powder (cornstarch okay)
- 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES
- 5 teaspoons ground peppercorns (3 tsps black, plus 2 tsps white)
- 2 teaspoons ground dalmatian sage
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground savory
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground vanilla bean
- 2 cups unbleached bread flour
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTES: FOR AUTHENTIC RESULTS, PREPARE RECIPE EXACTLY AS DIRECTED. MSG (ACCENT SEASONING) IS IN THE ACTUAL ORIGINAL RECIPE, BUT MAY BE OMITTED IF NECESSARY. EGG WHITE POWDER IS SOLD IN HEALTH FOOD STORES. YOU MAY SUBSTITUTE EGG WHITE POWDER WITH CORNSTARCH. FINELY GRIND REQUIRED HERBS AND SPICES SEPARATELY IN A CLEAN SPICE MILL OR COFFEE GRINDER. USE A PEPPER MILL TO MEDIUM-GRIND TELLICHERRY PEPPERCORNS. I RECOMMEND MCCORMICK BRAND TELLICHERRY BLACK PEPPER AND GROUND GINGER, SPICE ISLANDS BRAND GROUND SAGE AND CARDAMOM, SPICE APPEAL BRAND GROUND SAVORY, AND WILLIAMS-SONOMA BRAND GROUND TAHITIAN VANILLA BEAN.
- MEASURE the BASE MIXTURE and 11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES into a large re-sealable container.
- BREAK up any clumps (and dry milk powder) using the back of a spoon.
- SEAL the container.
- SHAKE container to mix well.
- STORE container sealed and store in a cool dry place.
- WHEN ready to use, combine seasoning mixture with the 2 cups unbleached breading flour into a large re-sealable container.
- SEAL the container with flour and seasoning; SHAKE well until thoroughly combined.
- FOLLOW link to Recipe #393795 for complete brining, preparation and frying instructions (skipping its STEP #3 since you've already done this).