1/1 Photo of KFC Original Recipe Breading Mix (Copycat)
The Spice Guru's Note:
My reverse-engineered recipe for replicating KFC's 'Original Recipe' chicken breading mix. Yields one batch fried chicken (8-10 pieces, or up to 16 drumsticks). For a bulk mix of this same recipe for quick and easy breading, use Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat). Follow link to KFC Original Recipe Chicken (Copycat) for complete brining, preparation and frying instructions. PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carb and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
My Private Note
batch s ...
Units: US | Metric
BASE MIXTURE (SEE NOTES)
- 5 teaspoons fine sea salt (level)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- 1 1/4 teaspoons egg white powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES
- 4 teaspoons ground tellicherry black pepper
- 1 tablespoon seasoned mild chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons jamaican ground ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dalmatian ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground winter savory
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon hickory smoke salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground anise seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground tarragon
- 2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1NOTES: PREPARE RECIPE EXACTLY AS DIRECTED. DO NOT OMIT ACCENT SEASONING (IT LENDS THE AUTHENTIC SWEET FLAVOR). EGG WHITE POWDER IS SOLD IN HEALTH FOOD STORES. FINELY GRIND REQUIRED HERBS AND SPICES SEPARATELY IN A CLEAN SPICE MILL OR COFFEE GRINDER. USE A PEPPER MILL TO MEDIUM-GRIND TELLICHERRY PEPPERCORNS. GRIND DALMATIAN SAGE TO A FINE POWDER. I RECOMMEND MCCORMICK BRAND TELLICHERRY BLACK PEPPER AND DALMATIAN SAGE, GERHARDT BRAND CHILI POWDER, AND MARION-KAY BRAND GROUND GINGER, GROUND (WINTER) SAVORY, AND HICKORY SMOKE SEASONING. WINTER SAVORY MAY BE SUBSTITUTED WITH THE FOLLOWING BLEND (GRIND INGREDIENTS IN A SPICE MILL, THEN USE 1 TEASPOON): 1/4 teaspoon ground chamomile, 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon ground parsley, 1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme, 1/8 teaspoon ground dried lemon peel, 1/8 teaspoon ground mint.
- 2MEASURE only the BASE MIXTURE and 11 HERBS AND SPICES ingredients into a large sealable container, such as a GLAD food storage container or a Ziploc bag.
- 3BREAK up any clumps (and dry milk powder) using the back of a spoon.
- 4SEAL the container with mixture.
- 5SHAKE container to mix well.
- 6STORE container sealed and store in a cool dry place if not using right away.
- 7WHEN READY TO USE: Open and add 2 level cups of the unbleached BREADING FLOUR, then seal the container.
- 8SHAKE mixture well until thoroughly combined.
- 9FOLLOW link to KFC Original Recipe Chicken (Copycat) for the complete brining, preparation and frying instructions (skipping its STEP #3 since you've already done this).
Browse Our Top Novelty Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Novelty Recipes
Nutritional Facts for KFC Original Recipe Breading Mix (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.1
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 2959.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hickory smoke salt