My reverse-engineered recipe for replicating KFC's 'Original Recipe' chicken breading mix. Yields one batch fried chicken (8-10 pieces, or up to 16 drumsticks). For a bulk mix of this same recipe for quick and easy breading, use Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat). Follow link to KFC Original Recipe Chicken (Copycat) for complete brining, preparation and frying instructions. PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carb and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
BASE MIXTURE (SEE NOTES)
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons fine sea salt (level)
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons egg white powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES
- 4 teaspoons ground tellicherry black pepper
- 1 tablespoon seasoned mild chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground winter savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hickory smoke salt
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ground anise seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground vanilla bean
- 2 cups unbleached bread flour
- NOTES: PREPARE RECIPE EXACTLY AS DIRECTED. DO NOT OMIT ACCENT SEASONING (IT LENDS THE AUTHENTIC SWEET FLAVOR). EGG WHITE POWDER IS SOLD IN HEALTH FOOD STORES. FINELY GRIND REQUIRED HERBS AND SPICES SEPARATELY IN A CLEAN SPICE MILL OR COFFEE GRINDER. USE A PEPPER MILL TO MEDIUM-GRIND TELLICHERRY PEPPERCORNS. I RECOMMEND MCCORMICK BRAND TELLICHERRY BLACK PEPPER, MARION-KAY BRAND GROUND GINGER, GROUND (WINTER) SAVORY, AND HICKORY SMOKE SEASONING, AND WILLIAMS-SONOMA BRAND GROUND TAHITIAN VANILLA BEAN. WINTER SAVORY MAY BE SUBSTITUTED WITH THE FOLLOWING BLEND (GRIND INGREDIENTS IN A SPICE MILL, THEN USE 1 TEASPOON): 1/4 teaspoon ground chamomile, 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon ground parsley, 1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme, 1/8 teaspoon ground dried lemon peel, 1/8 teaspoon ground mint.
- MEASURE only the BASE MIXTURE and 11 HERBS AND SPICES ingredients into a large sealable container, such as a GLAD food storage container or a Ziploc bag.
- BREAK up any clumps (and dry milk powder) using the back of a spoon.
- SEAL the container with mixture.
- SHAKE container to mix well.
- STORE container sealed and store in a cool dry place if not using right away.
- WHEN READY TO USE: Open and add 2 level cups of the unbleached BREADING FLOUR, then seal the container.
- SHAKE mixture well until thoroughly combined.
- FOLLOW link to Recipe #393795 for the complete brining, preparation and frying instructions (skipping its STEP #3 since you've already done this).
This is another killer recipe by the "spice guru" himself. Would love to hear the story about the changes over time because this site isn't loving me these days. ~nudge~nudge~