Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My reverse-engineered recipe for replicating KFC's 'Original Recipe' chicken breading mix. Yields one batch fried chicken (8-10 pieces, or up to 16 drumsticks). For a bulk mix of this same recipe for quick and easy breading, use Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat). Follow link to KFC Original Recipe Chicken (Copycat) for complete brining, preparation and frying instructions. PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carb and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
BASE MIXTURE (SEE NOTES)
- 5 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- 2 teaspoons egg white powder
11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES
- 1 tablespoon fresh milled tellicherry black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons barbecue seasoning (use the recipe provided below)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground savory
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground vanilla bean
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
FOR THE BARBECUE SEASONING
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups unbleached bread flour
- NOTES: PREPARE RECIPE EXACTLY AS DIRECTED. DO NOT OMIT ACCENT SEASONING (IT LENDS THE AUTHENTIC SWEET FLAVOR). EGG WHITE POWDER IS SOLD IN HEALTH FOOD STORES. YOU MAY SUBSTITUTE EGG WHITE POWDER WITH 1/2 TEASPOON XANTHAN GUM (ALSO SOLD IN HEALTH FOOD STORES). FINELY GRIND REQUIRED HERBS AND SPICES SEPARATELY IN A CLEAN SPICE MILL OR COFFEE GRINDER. USE A PEPPER MILL TO MEDIUM-GRIND TELLICHERRY PEPPERCORNS. I RECOMMEND MCCORMICK BRAND TELLICHERRY BLACK PEPPER AND SMOKED PAPRIKA, SPICE ISLANDS BRAND GROUND SAGE AND CARDAMOM, SPICE APPEAL BRAND GROUND SAVORY, AND WILLIAMS-SONOMA BRAND GROUND TAHITIAN VANILLA BEAN. USE ONLY LAWRY'S SEASONED SALT FOR THE BARBECUE SEASONING.
- MEASURE the BASE MIXTURE and 11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES into a large re-sealable container (this includes the prepared BARBECUE SEASONING recipe).
- BREAK up any clumps (and dry milk powder) using the back of a spoon.
- SEAL the container.
- SHAKE container to mix well.
- STORE container sealed and store in a cool dry place.
- WHEN ready to use, combine seasoning mixture with the 2 cups unbleached breading flour into a large re-sealable container.
- SEAL the container with flour and seasoning; SHAKE well until thoroughly combined.
- FOLLOW link to Recipe #393795 for complete brining, preparation and frying instructions (skipping its STEP #3 since you've already done this).
This is another killer recipe by the "spice guru" himself. Would love to hear the story about the changes over time because this site isn't loving me these days. ~nudge~nudge~