Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
A favorite among kids and kids at heart is the Colonel's Macaroni and cheese which was originally made fresh daily. Now it comes premade and is cooked in an oven like it originally was when it was made fresh. This was sent to a recipe group, AARestaurant_Recipes, by tabbitha.
- In a pot bring water to a boil with salt to taste, once the water comes to a boil add the macaroni and cook for 12 to 15 minutes.
- When the noodles are cooked drain but do not rinse.
- To make the cheese sauce in a pan over low heat combine the Velveeta cheese,shredded cheddar and the milk.
- Cook the cheeses till they are melted and then add the salt.
- Add the noodles and mix through.
- Place in a casserole dish and bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
- You may want to broil the top to make a brown top.
I made this recipe and it is NOT KFC mac'n cheese. Its the same recipe posted on many other sites claiming to be the same as the one used by the colonel. This one is not as cheesy and tastes kind of flavorless. Kraft dinner tastes cheesier than this.
I doubled the recipe and omitted the baking part due to the other reviewers comments. It was great. My kids loved it. I wouldn't say it was like KFC's but it was really good.
It was looking very good before I put it in the oven. Velvety cheese, not too salty, I couldn't wait. But when I took it out of the oven, the cheese kind of coagulated, which I certainly didn't expect from the Velveeta. It didn't separate like an all "real" cheese mac. It tasted fine, and DH didn't complain, but I was disappointed visually. Don't know what I did wrong... Next time I'll omit the oven and see what we think. Thanks for the recipe, QT.