Recipe by Ben Ross
If you love those crispy strips here's a recipe that is sure to be to your tastes. These are nearly taste the same as crispy strips that are available in Australia.
Top Review by Dianne
This recipe is what made me become a member of recipezaar. Once I made it I enjoyed it so much I had to comment on it. I added some extra herbs and spices like thyme. This added to it.
- 500 g skinless chicken breasts
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon msg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon Mexican chili powder
- 1 teaspoon msg (isn't really important it just adds extra flavour)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim any excess skin or fat from the chicken breasts.
- Slice the chicken breasts into nice size strips (approximately 1/2 inch x 3-4 inches).
- Combine the water, salt and MSG for the marinade in a large bowl and let it sit and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Turn the strips once while they are marinating.
- Combine the beaten egg and milk and a bit of pepper in a medium size bowl.
- In a small plastic bag combine the remaining ingredients (flour, salt, pepper, paprika, Mexican chili and MSG) and shake.
- At this time you can start to preheat the oil in a deep-fryer to 220°C.
- When the chicken has been marinating for 20 minutes, transfer each piece to paper towels so that excess liquid can drain off.
- Using about ten strips at once, place the chicken in the bag with the flouer and shake the bag until the strips of chicken are coated.
- Place them on a plate.
- Once they have been coated with the flour mixture dip them in the egg and milk mixture individually and them back into the bag for another shake.
- Be sure to try and get as much coating on each strip.
- If you wish you can coat them again if you want a thicker coating.
- Drop the strips, 5-6 at a time into the hot oil.
- They should only take a couple of minutes depending on how you like your chicken.
- Be sure to stir when frying so the strips don't stick together.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and allow them to drain on paper towels for a couple of minutes.
- Enjoy your homemade takeaway!