Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
My reverse-engineered recipe for KFC's sweet and savory Honey BBQ Sauce.
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 cups tomato ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon hickory smoke salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons plain sweet chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- NOTE: USE UNSEASONED CHILI POWDER. (STEP ONE): GRIND all of the dry seasonings EXCEPT ground black pepper (from ground sage through cayenne pepper) in a spice mill or coffee grinder.
- WHISK the ground spices with remaining ingredients well in a medium saucepan (don't forget to add the ground black pepper).
- HEAT sauce to a gentle boil, then REDUCE heat to a low heat setting (approximately the numeric "2" setting on rangetop control).
- SIMMER sauce about one hour, whisking occasionally, until reduced to almost half (just slightly over 2 cups, or 1 pint).
- COOL barbecue sauce completely.
- FUNNEL into plastic squeeze bottles or Ball canning jars.
- USE as you would any barbecue sauce.
- SUGGESTION: Serve with barbecued chicken or ribs, or pulled pork sandwiches.
- STORE refrigerated and capped.