Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My revised reverse-engineered recipe for KFC's gravy.
- 2 cups cold filtered water
- 2⁄3 cup cold nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 drop sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (not onion salt)
- 3⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄8 teaspoon seasoning (Bulk KFC Original Recipe Seasoning (Copycat))
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt (Lawry's)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1 pinch ground thyme
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- NOTE: THIS RECIPE REQUIRES 3/8 TEASPOON OF MY Recipe #453973. BEFORE ADDING THE SESAME OIL TO THE BROTH, DISPENSE 1 SMALL DROP INTO A SPOON FIRST, TO AVOID EXCESS SPILLAGE.
- WHISK together the LIQUID INGREDIENTS in a large bowl.
- MIX together the DRY INGREDIENTS in a another bowl.
- QUICKLY whisk the DRY INGREDIENTS into the LIQUID INGREDIENTS, until thoroughly dissolved.
- MELT 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening in a medium saucepan over low heat; STIR in 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour; COOK the ROUX ingredients slowly over medium-low heat until just bubbly (do not brown roux!).
- POUR the blended broth mixture into the roux in saucepan; WHISK until mixture is thoroughly blended.
- BRING gravy mixture to a boil while whisking constantly; BOIL one minute; REDUCE heat.
- SIMMER until gravy deepens in color and desired consistency is reached, whisking as needed.
- REMOVE gravy from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving, stirring a often to avoid a skin from forming on surface.
- SERVE and enjoy!
good brown gravy, that was good!
Made this gravy tonight along with Recipe #58952. It did taste somewhat like KFC gravy. It was on the spicy side and I have a feeling I'm going to be real thirsty later on. I probably will make this gravy occasionally along with the KFC chicken strips. I would recommend others to try this.