Recipe by JustaQT
The gravy used to be made fresh with the cracklings. Now it comes in a pouch and all you have to do is add water. Thank God for modified starch products.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter shortening, melted
- 3 tablespoons of original breading flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cancampbell condensed chicken stock
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can water (use chicken stock can)
Directions See How It's Made
- First we are going to make a roux with the melted shortening (butter) and 1 1/2 tablespoon of *breading flour.
- Cook this over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until the roux browns in color to resemble a nice milk chocolate color.
- Once the mixture turns brown remove it from the heat and add the remaining flour stirring to make a paste. Slowly add the liquid (s) whisking together the paste and liquid.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and boil for 2 minutes reduce the heat and allow the mixture to thicken which should take about 3 to 5 minutes. Stirring constantly. Mixture will burn if left unattended.
- *That is just the flour that you use to bread the chicken with.