Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe off the internet, but haven't tried it yet. I liked the idea that it didn't call for buttermilk, which I never have on hand, but usually have sour cream. Wanted to post it here for easy access. Cooking time is refrigeration time. BTW, I realize that I could make homemade copycat buttermilk, but there's too much redundancy, with the milk and vinegar already in this recipe.
- 1 (14 ounce) packagecabbage coleslaw mix
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon finely minced onion (optional)
- paprika (optional)
- Place coleslaw in non-reactive bowl.
- Whisk together sugar and next seven ingredients thoroughly, plus onion if using.
- Pour over coleslaw mix and stir to coat. May add paprika at this point, if desired.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Note: Mix may seem dry at first, but will loosen up after cabbage reacts to the dressing and releases it's moisture. Also, when I've made my traditional coleslaw recipe, I grate my onion, because I don't like the minced bits.
Yummy! Made my own coleslaw mix with cabbage and carrots. Love the dressing! I halved the recipe and enjoyed! Thanks! Made for My 3 Chefs event.
I've made this recipe twice now. I love it! I shredded my own cabbage and added 1/2 cup of shredded carrots. Excellent recipe. Thank you! My first attempt, there was just too much sugar. We really don't eat a lot of sugar in our household, so we may just be sensitive to it. I added more vinegar to help even it out some. My second attempt, I cut the sugar portion to less than half. There was still too much sugar, so I think I will just leave the sugar out all together.
Great slaw! Just like KFC. I didn't add onion, but added some dried cranberries which worked great. This was a hit at the BBQ. Made for Spring 2014 PAC.