Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
My boyfriend and I had the most fantastic pizza in Italy during our travels, even the takeaway stuff is fantastic. Through trial and error (and expanding waistlines) we think that I've found a good approximation of a home-made pizza sauce we had in Cassino when we went down there for the 60th commemorations last year.
- 22.18 ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 44.37 ml fresh basil, chopped
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 2 (800 g) can plum tomatoes, roughly chopped (or, 10 x large plum tomatoes, x's cut into the skin, then plunged into boiling water for 2 minutes,)
- 59.16 ml tomato paste
- freshly ground salt & pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan, on medium heat.
- Saute the onions and garlic until translucent, but do not allow to burn or brown.
- Add the herbs and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste (and salt & pepper to taste) and simmer for 60 minutes on low heat (I use 2/6) until reduced to a thick sauce. I taste this every 10 minutes and sometimes add pepper if required.
- Cool, and use on your favourite pizza bases. Can be used on 4 x medium bases (if you like a lot of sauce), or 6 bases if you like a thinner covering. You can also puree this with a Bamix if chunky sauce isn't your thing (plus, it goes further if you puree it).
This is a really easy recipe to make a divine sauce. I used it to make Pizza Style Meatloaf and Rainbow Veggie Pizza. The herbs are just perfect and I used my immersion blender to make it just slightly less chunky. Viva los Jefes!
Simply deliciousio! Made as posted and left it chunky-saved me some dishes. Froze the other half for another time, so that is something I like b/c we cannot use an entire boughten container's worth. Thanks for sharing a keeper. Made for ZWT4 the Flying Dutchess.
This made such good pizza sauce! It was so fresh-tasting, and was super-simple to throw together. I was outvoted two to one for keeping the sauce chunky, so I roughly pureed it with my immersion blender. This made for some great Italian bread pizzas (I think DH ate an entire half loaf all by himself!). I think this is now my go-to pizza sauce recipe, thanks for posting! Made for ZWT4