Recipe by Parrot Head Mama
Got this recipe from a cookbook my husband & I picked up on our honeymoon in the Keys. A few years later, stuck in snowy, land-locked IA where we live, we decided to make up a few batches of these with some Rum Runners and have a "Wish We Were in Key West" dinner party with a few friends.
Top Review by Bev
I'm so glad I finally got around to trying these wonderful crabcakes! I used king crab and also used probably a bit more breadcrumbs than called for because I was having a bit of difficulty getting the patties to hold together. I served them with recipe #71038 which was the perfect sauce for these crabcakes. We enjoyed them so much! Thank you!
- 1 lb crabmeat (I use canned,lump)
- 2 slices bacon (cooked crisp & crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons onions (minced)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper (cleaned & chopped fine)
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper (cleaned & chopped fine)
- 1 celery rib (chopped fine)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh herb (parsley, cilantro, basil)
- 3 -4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 -2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- When preparing bacon, remove from pan and sautee onions, peppers, celery & garlic in bacon drippings.
- Transfer to a bowl, add crabmeat, herbs& breadcrumbs.
- Fold in egg & cream.
- Form into patties, size of your choice.
- Wrap & refrigerate atleast 30 minutes.
- Pan fry cakes in butter/oil til crispy on both sides, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Serve with horseradish/mustard sauce.