Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Grilled shrimp, rum and tangy citrus gives this great flavor. Coconut Jasmine rice tops it. Quick marinade, quick cooking and a quick side dish.
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and tails on
- 1 large papaya, 2-inch bite size pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut in quarters 2-inch bite size pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, chopped
- Marinade -- Mix the rum, citrus juice, olive oil, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes in a large baggie and shake well to combine the flavors. Add the shrimp and marinade 2-3 hours. NO longer. The last 30 minutes add the pieces of onion and papaya.
- Skewer -- I like to use bamboo, but use anything you like. I don't find it necessary to soak the bamboo other than just a minute or two. The shrimp is so quick cooking, just a quick soak or rinse if fine for me. Alternate shrimp, papaya onion and just keep going. Don't over crowd the skewer. That way each item cook all the way through. Season with salt and pepper. Any leftover marinade I just reheat in the microwave and then use to brush on the skewers as they grill.
- Grilling -- After making your skewers, let them set and come to room temp before grilling. They can be grilled outside, charcoal or gas or can be done inside on a grill pan. NOW -- make the rice --
- Rice -- Bring the water, coconut and salt to a boil and add the rice. Most recipes will take about 15 minutes to cook covered. Just follow the recipe on the package. Each rice brand can take different times. Once light and fluffy add the cilantro and any salt and pepper is needed.
- Serve the skewers over the coconut rice. I love to serve this with simple sauteed sugar snap peas. A little butter, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. 3-4 minutes and serve. But use any veggie you enjoy. Bok Choy pan seared is also great with this.