Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
The Original NY Times Cookbook, Craig Clairborne.
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 6 lean pork chops
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, raw
- 1 large onion, cut into 6 slices
- 1 lime, cut into 6 slices
- 6 tablespoons chili sauce
- 3 cups tomato juice or 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil, add the chops and brown on both sides.
- Remove the chosp and and drain off all but 4 tablespoons of the fat.
- Stir in the raw dry rice, coating all the grains with the fat.
- Arrange the chops on top and sprinkle with salt.
- Place a slice of onion, a slice of lime, and a spoonful of chili sauce on each chop.
- Add the tomato juice and Tabasco, cover closely and bake until the chops are tender, about an hour.