Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe comes from Key Lime Cookin' by Joyce LaFray. Key limes are smaller and sweeter than regular limes. If you can't find key limes or key lime juice you may sub regular limes.
Top Review by intheklopkitchen
Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have made this twice and the only thing I changed was I made it into a layer cake with Key Lime Curd as a filling in between the layers. I used 9 inch round cake pans and baked for 28 min. Thanks again! It was a huge hit!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package lemon cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice or 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 2 key limes, zest of or 1⁄2 regular lime, zest of
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 lb butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1 key limes, zest of or 1 regular lime, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or grease and flour lightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, water, lime juice, lime zest, jello, vegetable oil and eggs.
- With an electric mixer, blend ingredients together until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted off center comes out clean.
- For the frosting, combine the butter, cream cheese and vanilla with electric mixer.
- Add confectioners sugar and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add milk to reach the desired spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and garnish with lime zest.